Martin represents the third generation of Hawtrees to practice golf course architecture. The Hawtree firm, dates from 1912, and has been associated with the building or remodelling of more than 500 golf courses. He joined his father in 1973 after a varied academic overture at the Universities of East Anglia and Liverpool.
He took over the practice in 1984 since when he has been responsible for the direction of more than 60 new courses and the redirection of many more existing courses, working throughout Europe, in Northern America, Southern Africa and India.
The practice is currently expanding its horizons in Brazil, Canada, Sweden, and Eastern Europe. Whilst running a busy practice, Martin still makes time for what he most enjoys, detailed site work with machine drivers and hand rakes.
He is at present working on some of the oldest links including Portmarnock, Lahinch, and Royal Dublin. He has recently completed a strategic review of the West and East Courses at Royal Melbourne. Martin has served the Institute since 1985 when he became Honorary Secretary, a post he held for ten years. He was President of the British Institute of Golf Course Architects from 1996-97.